Oct 7, 2008

St. George Marathon


It's rained twice during the marathon in thirty years. Today was the second time. It's hard to run 26 miles and it's even harder in the rain. We stood with our umbrellas in the rain at the finish and waited for an hour. Jon came running in close to his estimated time of 10:15--about three and one-half hours. We yelled and yelled, but we were on the opposite side and he didn't see us. Keith tried to take a picture too and missed. We felt frustrated, but found Larissa with the children. A few minutes later Jon found us. He was shivering and his lips looked blue. He had a black garbage sack over his wet clothes. I gave him my jacket and umbrella. Larissa whisked him home to a warm bath and hot chocolate. Keith and I found Jon's discared clothes and Michelle called to say Danny had finished too despite some injuries. I was extremely proud of these two young men. I watched men and women of various ages cross the finish. Some looked almost dead and others still had energy. Everyone deserved their medal today. Later we celebrated with Jon and Larissa at "In and Out Burger." In commemoration of these historic achievements, I ate my first hamburger in years!

2 comments:

J and B Martin said...

Great Post Mom, sorry we couldn't be down there with you. Love ya

Joe

Erickson said...

You ate a hamburger?