Oct 31, 2008

Halloween

Halloween originated from an ancient Gaelic harvest festival. It falls on the eve of All Hallows Day or All-hallow-even. Halloween has always been a fun night for me. I liked wearing a costume as a child, celebrating Halloween with my elementary students, and making costumes for my children. In earlier times masks and costumes were worn to mimic or placate the evil spirits that roamed on this night. According to Celtic traditions the division between earth and the spirit world is blurred on Halloween and spirits can contact the earth. People may still believe in this tradition. As I walked by the cemetary today I saw several Halloween decorations including a witch and a scarecrow. Autographed pumpkins with messages for departed loved ones sat by some headstones. I'm sure that bringing these remembrances helped these families feel closer to their loved ones. As for me I focused on the living and passed out treats. The trick or treat custom came from Ireland where children visited neighbors and collected fruit, nuts, and sweets for the Halloween festival. Ghosts, goblins, princesses, and super heros came by my house collecting sweets. Parents and dentists hate all that sugar, but I see it differently. It's a fun tradition that only comes once a year.