Oct 21, 2008

Bambi

It's always a challenge to walk up 750 East, but I love the view when I go down. Today I saw five deer feasting on the grass and flowers by a house--four big ones and a Bambi. They didn't notice me so I froze to watch them. A car saw me and stopped too. A father and a child pointed at the deer. I've never been that close to a herd of deer. I marveled at their slender bodies, sturdy legs, long ears, and large eyes. A big deer stared at me and didn't seem afraid. I stayed still, but something frightened it. Moments later the whole herd leaped gracefully over the fence and ran down into the gully. I thought about the deer and what beautiful creatures they were. I remembered the movie "Bambi" I saw as a child and how I cried when the deer died. Winter is coming and these deer may not survive, but the newspaper reminded me of a greater threat. This weekend 72,000 hunters will be combing the hills with their guns. I hope my little herd stays hidden. Even though I'm all grown up, I still feel sorry for Bambi.

No comments: