Feb 1, 2011

Girl by the Sphinx


Two weeks ago we were in Egypt. We had a peaceful experience compared to the turmoil in the country now. We hired a car and our driver took us to Cairo where we visited the pyramids and Egyptian museum. Guys with souvenirs at the pyramids swarmed around us like hungry mosquitos. I clutched my bag, refused to buy, and finally they buzzed away. A barefoot beggar girl about five years old near the sphinx was more persistent. Clutching a handful of postcards, she pleaded with large dark eyes and a few English words. I almost bought her postcards, but then I saw a bunch of raggedy children nearby and feared I would be mobbed. Ignoring her pleas, I dashed to our car and was whisked away from the poverty and dirt to our luxury cruise ship.

Now back in America, I watched the riots in Cairo and I think about the little beggar girl. Is she safe? How will this influence her future?

No comments: