Sep 7, 2008

SEPTEMBER HARVEST


Thirty-eight years ago I became a bride. Like many newlyweds we were poor and idealistic, a struggling student and a brand-new teacher. We drove a VW bug, feasted on beans, and lived in a tiny basement apartment. For awhile we shared our home with some mice; one night be trapped ten. During the next five tough happy years we moved five times, including an extended stay in Tunis, Tunisia, with our infant son, David. Back to America and life assumed a normal routine: more work, more children, more work. On September 4th we gathered our harvest of six children, with four spouses and five grandchildren. As I see our married children with their little families, I want them to experience this same joy someday. So what would be my advice? Be flexible, be friendly, be forgiving. Then watch the green apples ripen into gold.

1 comment:

Erickson said...

I miss you, Mom. Thanks for all the great childhood memories.